GAME STATISTICS | LIVE BLOG
TAMPERE, Finland – A three-goal third period helped Canada's National Men's Team punch its ticket to the gold medal game at the 2023 IIHF World Championship, doubling up on co-host Latvia 4-2 at Nokia Arena on Saturday.
- Adam Fantilli (Nobleton, Ont./University of Michigan, Big Ten) scored the eventual game-winner, a highlight-reel goal just under nine minutes into the third period.
- Scott Laughton (Oakville, Ont./Philadelphia, NHL) chipped in with an empty-net goal and an assist.
- Sammy Blais (Montmagny, Que./St. Louis, NHL) and Jack Quinn (Cobden, Ont./Buffalo, NHL) rounded out the scoring.
- Peyton Krebs (Okotoks, Alta./Buffalo, NHL), Jake Middleton (Stratford, Ont./Minnesota, NHL), Lawson Crouse (Mount Brydges, Ont./Arizona, NHL), Milan Lucic (Vancouver, B.C./Calgary, NHL) and Justin Barron (Halifax, N.S./ Montréal, NHL) chipped in with one assist apiece.
- Sam Montembeault (Bécancour, Que./Montréal, NHL) made 20 saves.
- Canada outshot Latvia 36-22.
Canada vs. United States or Germany (gold medal game) – Sunday, May 28 (1:20 p.m. ET/10:20 a.m. PT)
TSN and RDS, the official broadcast partners of Hockey Canada, will broadcast 64 and 24 games, respectively; please check local listings for details.
“The Latvians battle hard, they are physical and they played really well today. We stuck with it and needed some character after they scored the first goal, and I think the boys did a great job. [Quinn] scored a big, big goal for us, and Fantilli’s goal will be a highlight for a long time. There was no panic on our bench, and I think the commitment from our team was exceptional today.”
- Head coach André Tourigny (Nicolet, Que./Arizona, NHL) on today’s semifinal win
“It was a special moment for me. I grew up watching Milan Lucic my whole life, and for him to give me a great pass before my goal was pretty cool. It is a pretty surreal feeling to score a big goal that helps get us to the gold medal game, and it would mean a lot for everyone in our locker room to leave Finland with a gold medal. We all came here to represent our country as best as we can, and the best way to do that is by winning, so hopefully we can do that tomorrow.”
- Fantilli on his goal and the opportunity to play for gold
“The puck just kind of popped out to me after a great forecheck by Crouse. I was just trying to bank it off any part of the Latvian goalie, and luckily the shot hit the perfect spot and went in.”
“This game shows that we have a lot of resiliency and that we believe in each other. We knew we were going to face some adversity today, and we were able to stick with it and stay calm, and in the end we got rewarded. We know how we need to play tomorrow to be successful, so we just need to reset and get focused on what we need to do to leave with a gold medal.”
- Quinn on his game-tying goal and today’s game
For more information on Hockey Canada and Canada’s National Men’s Team, please visit HockeyCanada.ca, or follow along through social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and by using #IIHFWorlds.