CALGARY, Alta. – Hockey Canada will once again team up with the International Ice Hockey Federation and
fellow member nations for World Girls’ Hockey Weekend, taking place Saturday, Oct. 13 and Sunday, Oct. 14 in
rinks around the globe. Now in its second season, the IIHF has developed World Girls’ Hockey Weekend to help
grow the women’s game at all levels, and in all participating countries.
“We’re thrilled to see World Girls’ Hockey Weekend grow into a bigger and better event this year, with
communities across the country hosting events to help celebrate the spirit of the female game,” said Joanne
Hughes, chair of female council for Hockey Canada. “We’re even more excited to see women’s hockey continue to
gain popularity, as more players lace up their skates and discover the fun of this sport, both here at home
In arenas across the country, World Girls’ Hockey Weekend is a great way to introduce girls and women to
the game in a positive, safe and supportive environment. Activities hosted by female and minor hockey
associations include public skating, skills sessions, teambuilding, Esso Fun Days, Try Hockey Days and other
fun ways to get out onto the ice, and into the great Canadian game.
Activities are taking place across the country in conjunction with World Girls’ Hockey Weekend, including
highlights such as:
- One Goal try hockey days hosted by Hockey New Brunswick, Hockey North and the Ontario Women’s Hockey
Association to introduce females to the game;
- Esso Fun Days in Alberta, Manitoba, New Brunswick and P.E.I.;
- a girls’ hockey weekend, featuring an officiating clinic and mother-daughter team training, hosted by the
2013 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship host committee in Ottawa, Ont.;
- a development tournament for Bantam and Midget players in Gananoque, Ont.;
- the chance for young girls who play within the Nepean Girls Hockey Association to run a practice for
- Events throughout the Ontario Women’s Hockey Association (OWHA), from introduction to hockey sessions
hosted by Canada’s National Women’s Team alumni Becky Kellar and Cheryl Pounder in Brantford, Ont., to
feature games showcasing the female talent in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS).
- a Bring A Friend Day in Victoria, B.C., giving every girl who plays minor hockey the chance to invite a
friend to try the game;
- fun scrimmages for female players registered in Atom through Midget with the Vancouver Girls Hockey
- skills development sessions in Gander, N.L.;
- and much more!
Please visit www.HockeyCanada.ca/FemaleHockey for
more information on World Girls’ Hockey Weekend activities in your area.
At its home arena in Calgary, Hockey Canada is partnering with the Alberta Honeybadgers of the Canadian
Women’s Hockey League to offer two days of free programming for all skill levels at the WinSport Canada
Athletic & Ice Complex, including:
- a Discover Hockey session for players who are brand new to the sport;
- on- and off-ice sessions for female minor hockey and adult players;
- Esso Fun Days for both girls and women;
- and a CWHL exhibition game featuring Canada’s National Women’s Team members.
For information on how to register for World Girls’ Hockey Weekend events in Calgary, please CLICK HERE.
If your community is hosting a World Girls’ Hockey Weekend activity, please CLICK HERE
to register your event with Hockey Canada. For more information on the International Ice Hockey Federation’s
initiatives for World Girls’ Hockey Day, please CLICK HERE.
Hockey Canada is proud to be a World Girls’ Hockey Weekend leader. For more information on female hockey
across Canada, please visit www.HockeyCanada.ca/FemaleHockey.