CALGARY, AB– Hockey Canada announced on Monday, May 29th, the 2006 RBC Financial Group Junior ‘A’
Scholarship winners. These annual scholarship awards provide financial assistance to players of the
Canadian Junior ‘A’ Hockey League (CJAHL) for post-secondary education.
The 2006 RBC Financial Group Junior ‘A’ Scholarship recipients, one from each of the CJAHL’s ten leagues,
receive $1,000 toward post-secondary education, with one national winner receiving $5,000. The winners
of the national RBC Financial Group Junior ‘A’ Scholarship were selected from a list of finalists by a
national panel of HOCKEY CANADA appointed junior hockey representatives.
2006 RBC Financial Group Junior ‘A’ Scholarship winners:
- Alberta Junior Hockey League – Matt Strickland - Fort McMurray Oil Barons
- British Columbia Hockey League – Graham Fleming - Powell River Kings
- Central Junior Hockey League – Ryan Gulliver - Cumberland Grads
- Manitoba Junior Hockey League – Bo Storozuk - Swan Valley Stampeders
- Maritime Junior ‘A’ Hockey League – Jordan Knox - Summerside Western Capitals
- Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League – Adam Kauppi - Soo Thunderbirds
- Ontario Provincial Junior ‘A’ Hockey League – Andrew Thorne - Hamilton Red Wings
- Quebec Junior AAA Hockey League –Jean Christophe Robitaille - St. Jerome Pantheres
- Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League – TJ Sutter - Nipawin Hawks
- Superior International Junior Hockey League – Jeff Heringer - K & A Golden
The recipient of the $5,000 national RBC Financial Group Junior ‘A’ Scholarship is
TJ Sutter - Nipawin Hawks. TJ Sutter was presented with his national scholarship award
at the RBC Royal Bank Cup, which took place May 6-14 in Brampton, ON.
Players eligible for the RBC Financial Group Junior ‘A’ Scholarships must be a Canadian citizen, on a
Canadian Junior ‘A’ team roster, and registered or applying for full time post-secondary studies.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic achievement, hockey achievement, and community
All Junior ‘A’ hockey players in Canada, who currently attend a Canadian post-secondary institution, are
also eligible for the Nickerson Family Awards, which is made possible through the Friends of the RBC Royal
Bank Cup Society in Fort McMurray, Alberta. Jeff Heringer of the K & A Golden Hawks is the $1000
winner, and Jean Christophe Robitaille is the $500 winner of the Nickerson Family Awards.
Application forms for 2007 can be obtained from Junior ‘A’ leagues in the fall of 2006 and a downloadable
form will also be available on the Hockey Canada website at www.hockeycanada.ca.
For further information on Hockey Canada, visit the official website at www.hockeycanada.ca