2006 RBC Cup

Streetsville Derbys (HOST) 4 - Burnaby Express (PAC) 3

Round Robin
Saturday, May 6, 2006
Brampton, ON | 17:30 ET
Powerade Centre

By HockeyCanada.ca

The 2006 RBC Royal Bank Cup got underway on Saturday night as the Streetsville Derbys hosted the pacific champions, the Burnaby Express. It did not take long for the referees to dictate the pace as Keith Seabrook was called for elbowing just 37 seconds into the first. Streetsville opened the scoring on their third power-play of the period when Dan Fraser tipped a point shot past Burnaby goaltender Bryce Luker. Burnaby wasted to time evening things up when Kyle Turris scored a power-play goal of his own at 14:52 of the first. In what was an almost identical goal to Streetsville’s, Turris redirected a point shot from Jeff Orban. Both teams exchanged power-play opportunities for most of the period (8 in total) and came out deadlocked at 1-1. The hometown Derbys held the edge in shots 12-9.

The Express came out flying in the second period spending most of the five minutes peppering the Derbys goaltender with shots. However, Wilson was equal to the task turning away all ten shots in that span. The Derbys found their legs midway through the second playing the body and forcing turnovers down low but like the Express could not capitalize on their chances. Then, just seconds after killing a penalty, Burnaby broke out on a 2-1 and Mark Soares re-directed a cross-ice pass from Geoff Irwin past Wilson with 5:28 remaining in the second. The Express continued their offensive pressure and just 32 seconds later took a 3-1 lead when Brady Cook slid it past a sprawled Derby goaltender. At the end of the second period, the Express had a comfortable 3-1 lead and a 29-17 edge in shots.

The Derbys played Burnaby tough early in the third but could not find that all important second goal. The Express clamped down and neutralized any real attempts the Derbys had at generating any momentum. The Derbys missed a golden opportunity midway through the third when Phil Gianfransesco intercepted a cross-ice pass and broke in shorthanded all alone but fired the puck wide. That seemed to spark the Derbys who then took it to the Express and scored two quick goals to tie the game at 3-3. Jason Gorrie scored the first goal on the power-play after banging in a rebound past Luker. Then, after a clearing attempt gone bad, Clayton Windigo slid a pass to Scott Lees who made no mistake burying it in an open net with Luker out of position. The goals game 1 min. 31 seconds apart. The game took a scary turn as Felice Turano lay on the ice for several minutes before paramedics were called out and took him away on a stretcher. Turano who was tangled with another defender went crashing into the boards and left the game with an apparent leg injury. Following the stoppage, both teams had a myriad of opportunities to put the game away but both goaltenders stood strong sending the game to overtime.

Both teams were cautious out of the gate to start the overtime period with the Derbys having the best chances but once again Luker was equal to the task. Burnaby tried a few long passes hoping to send a man in alone and twice narrowly missed. It all came to an end at 12:02 of the first period of overtime as the Derbys broke out on a 3-2 odd man rush and Steve Tamaridis put away the rebound.

The Derbys, who were seeing their first action in over six weeks, carried the play for most of the game and came up big when needed. Burnaby on the other hand, showed flashes of brilliance in the second but were overmatched in the third which effectively proved to be their downfall.

Players of the Game:
Burnaby: Keith Seabrook
Derbys: Scott Lees

NOTES: Burnaby was 1/7 on the power play while Streetsville finished the night 2/7 … In total, 14 penalties were called of which 11 were in the first two periods … After being outshot in the first, Burnaby responded with 20 shots in the second ... The announced crowd was 1, 826

For more information:
Ryan Robins Manager, Marketing Services