The game of hockey requires Shared Respect
Hockey Canada's Shared Respect initiative educates and encourages greater respect. Consider your role in showing respect for the game its participants.
- I understand the safety of the participants in the game is more important than the final score.
- I value the contribution of the coach in developing the players’ talents, even though I may not always agree with their methods.
- I understand that officials do not make the rules, they only apply them.
- I understand that children learn from adults, and my behaviour reflects what I want children to learn.
- I understand that officials are responsible to ensure that the game is played in a safe and fair manner.
- I understand that players, coaches and officials are learning the game, and mistakes will be made in the learning process.
- • I may not cheer for the opposition, but I will not cheer against them or verbally abuse them.
- I understand that the biggest reason for players and officials quitting the game is abuse.