CALGARY, AB. -- Mike Stewart and Sean Selmser each scored twice to pace Canada's National Team to an 11-5 victory over the Japanese Olympic Team on Saturday night, as Royal Bank Canadian Hockey Week opened across Canada.
The victory was the third in a row for Canada over the Japanese Olympians, who are on a six-game tour of Western Canada to help them prepare for the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan. Canada beat Japan 5-1 on Wednesday in Banff and shut out Japan 7-0 on Friday night in Drayton Valley.
The two teams will play again on Tuesday night in Medicine Hat, in Fernie, B.C. on Wednesday, with the series finale on Friday, Jan. 24 in Bonnyville, AB.
Saturday's game attracted a crowd of 1,900 to Father David Bauer Arena, for the only game this season Canada's National team will play at its home base.
There wasn't much suspense about the outcome after Canada sped to a 3-0 lead on goals by Xavier Majic, Selmser and Reid Simonton by the 12:33 mark of the opening period. Majic and Selmser's goals came in a 21-second span, at 4:33 and 4:52.
A power-play goal by Atsuo Kudoh at 14:10 got the Japanese on the scoreboard, and Toshiyuki Sakai narrowed the gap to 3-2 at 16:08 of the opening period, as the Japanese threatened to make a game of it.
But George Zajankala scored the first of his two goals at 17:56 of the first and Selmser's second, at 19:49 on the power play, restored Canada's three-goal cushion.
Taku Takashi, Takahito Suzuki and Shin Yahata also scored for Japan, while Kayle Short, Ryan Duthie and Dean Evason completed the scoring for Canada, who outshot Japan 58-28 in the game.
1. Canada, Xavier Majic (Mike Stewart, Mike Chartrand) 4:33
2. Canada, Sean Selmser (George Zajankala, Ryan Duthie) 4:58
3. Canada, Reid Simonton (Dean Evason, Jason Young) 12:33 pp
4. Japan, Atsuo Kudoh (Tsutsumi Otomo, Koji Masukawa) 14:10 pp
5. Japan, Toshiyuki Sakai (Takayuki Kobori, Koji Masukawa) 16:08
6. Canada, George Zajankala (Sean Selmser, Ryan Duthie) 17:56
7. Canada, Sean Selmser, George Zajankala, Brett Clark) 19:49 p
Taku Takahashi, Japan (tripping) 7:05;
George Zajankala, Canada (boarding) 8:08;
Tatsuki Katayama, Japan (highsticking) 11:04;
Kayle Short, Canada (interference) 12:49;
Junichi Kai, Japan (slashing) 18:16.
8. Canada, George Zajankala (Sean Selmser) 1:19
9. Japan, Taku Takashi (Hiroyuki Murakami, Takayuki Kobori) 1:49 pp
10. Canada, Kayle Short (Xavier Majic, Ron Pasco) 6:10 pp
11. Canada, Ryan Duthie (Jeff Tory, Dean Evason) 8:26 pp
12. Canada, Mike Stewart (Xavier Majic, Ron Pasco) 11:48 pp
13. Canada, Dean Evason (Jason Young) 13:05
14. Japan, Takahito Suzuki (Tatsuki Katayama, Shin Yahata) 14:59
Dean Evason, Canada (unsportsmanlike conduct) 1:26;
Koji Murakami , Japan (double minor, charging, roughing) 3:54;
Tsutsumi Otomo, Japan (10-minute misconduct) 6:26;
Koji Masukawa, Japan (interference) 8:06;
Hiroyuki Murakami, Japan (roughing) 11:33;
Reid Simonton, Canada (interference) 17:50;
Mike Stewart Canada (holding) 19:14.
15. Japan, Shin Yahata (Akihito Sugisawa, Takayuki Kobori) 1:01 pp
16. Canada, Mike Stewart (Reid Simonton, Xavier Majic) 5:14
Junichi Kai, Japan (interference) 2:02;
Ryan Duthie, Canada (highsticking, holding), Kunihiko Sakurai, Japan (holding) 6:11;
Steve Junker, Canada (tripping) 6: 38;
Yukaka Kawaguchi, Japan (interference) 11:46;
Tsutumi Otomo, Japan (roughing) 12:59; Reid Simonton, Canada (roughing) 17:22; Mike Stewart, Canada (roughing) 18:39;
Tatsuki Katayama, Japan (elbowing) 19:48.
Shots on goal
Japan: Shinichi Iwasaki (58 / 47)
Canada: Jordan Willis (28 / 23)
|Pour plus d'informations :|
Francis Dupont Responsable, relations médias/communications Hockey Canada 403-777-4564 email@example.com
Morgan Bell Coordonnatrice, relations médias Hockey Canada 403-284-6427 firstname.lastname@example.org