Led by first-overall selection Jessica Wong, the top four picks in the 2013 Canadian Women’s Hockey League draft were alumnae of the National Women’s Under-18 Championship, topping a group of 17 chosen.
Wong went No. 1 to the Alberta Hockey Club, followed by Katie Wilson going to the Toronto Furies, Jess Jones to the Brampton Thunder and Lauriane Rougeau, currently centralized with Canada’s National Women’s Team ahead of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, to the Montreal Stars.
The top four picks all played at the 2007 national championship in Kitchener, Ont., and represent each of the four semifinalists from that year. Jones won gold with Ontario Red, beating Rougeau and Quebec in the final, while Wilson and her Manitoban teammates topped Wong and Team Atlantic in the bronze medal game.
In total, three gold medallists, all from Ontario Red, were selected – Jones was joined by Danielle Skirrow (2008) and Jamie Miller (November 2005).
Alberta and Toronto led the way with six alumnae picks each, followed by Brampton (three) and Montreal (two).
National Women’s Under-18 Championship alumnae selected in the 2013 CWHL Draft included:
1. Alberta – Jessica Wong (Atlantic, 2007/2008)
2. Toronto – Katie Wilson (Manitoba, 2007/2008)
3. Brampton – Jess Jones (Ontario Red, 2007)
4. Montreal – Lauriane Rougeau (Quebec, N2005/2007)
6. Alberta – Delayne Brian (Manitoba, 2007)
7. Toronto – Holly Carrie-Mattimoe (Alberta, 2007/2008)
8. Brampton – Danielle Skirrow (Ontario Red, 2008)
11. Alberta – Peggy Wakeham (Atlantic, N2005)
12. Toronto – Sasha Nanji (Ontario Blue, 2008)
14. Montreal – Camille Dumais (Quebec, N2005/2007)
17. Toronto – Jessica Vella (Ontario Blue, 2008)
21. Alberta – Reagan Fischer (Alberta, 2007)
22. Toronto – Alyssa Baldin (Ontario Blue, 2007)
31. Alberta – Taryn Peacock (Alberta, J2005)
36. Alberta – Tegan Schroeder (Saskatchewan, J2005/N2005)
37. Toronto – Lisa Mullan (British Columbia, N2005)
53. Brampton – Jamie Miller (Ontario Blue, J2005/Ontario Red, N2005)
|For more information:|