REGINA, SK – As of , the governing body of hockey in Canada that oversees all of minor hockey and the over 560,000 participants that play the game and all of Canada’s international men’s and women’s teams and programs, will now be know as HOCKEY CANADA (formerly the Canadian Hockey Association/CHA). The Team Canada / Hockey Canada logo will not change.
HOCKEY CANADA REQUESTS THAT ALL MEDIA OUTLETS, MINOR HOCKEY ASSOCIATIONS, TEAMS AND BRANCHES UTILIZE THE NAME ‘HOCKEY CANADA’ WHEN REFERING TO THE GOVERNING BODY OF HOCKEY IN CANADA – EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.
Hockey Canada, which has been known as the Canadian Hockey Association since 1994, has changed its name with the approval of the board of directors for the following reasons:
• Hockey Canada is better understood and easier to use within the sporting community. Many NSO’s use the same concept (Basketball Canada, Skate Canada, Rugby Canada, etc.)
• 8 of Hockey Canada’s 13 provincial Branches are now using the same wording, therefore providing a better alignment between Hockey Canada, the governing sport body, and the 13 provincial bodies
• Hockey Canada is a bilingual name, consistent in both official languages
• Hockey Canada does not have an acronym and therefore will help limit any confusion
• Hockey Canada’s board, officers and staff have decided that for the long term growth of the organization
Hockey Canada is a better trade name to use within the sport industry
"Our logo, structure and day to day operations will continue to stay the same, but we will be working under the Hockey Canada name from this day forward, " said Bob Nicholson, President, Hockey Canada. "Our board of directors has approved a new vision and mission statement for the organization – a sign that we will continue to evolve and enhance our operations for the betterment of hockey in our country at all levels."
Hockey Canada has unveiled at their 2003 Annual General Meeting going on this weekend in Regina, SK a new vision and mission statement for the organization, HOCKEY CANADA:
• Hockey Canada’s VISION as set by the Board of Directors is "World Sports Leaders"
• Hockey Canada’s mission statement is "Lead, Develop, and Promote positive hockey experiences"