OTTAWA, ON - On Monday evening, the Canadian Hockey Association handed out its annual awards, recognizing outstanding volunteers and achievements in minor hockey in Canada.
Yvan Gingras, of Montréal, QC, received the Gordon Juckes Award, which recognizes the outstanding contribution of an individual to the development of amateur hockey in Canada at the National Level. Gingras was the Technical Director with the Quebec Hockey Federation for periods of time between 1978 and 1987. He is recognized as a pioneer in hockey in Quebec and was also very involved nationally.
Joe Tookenay, of Nipigon, ON received the Volunteer of the Year Award, which recognizes an outstanding volunteer who has contributed to amateur hockey and the CHA. Tookenay has been involved in hockey for nearly 50 years. He has served on the Hockey Northwestern Ontario executive (formerly the Thunder Bay Amateur Hockey Association) from 1984 until 2001.
Marina Zenk, of Orleans, ON, was the recipient of the Female Breakthrough Award, which is in honor of an individual who has made a significant contribution to the promotion and/or development of female hockey in Canada. Zenk has been committed and dedicated to enhancing officiating programs within the ODHA. In addition, she has been selected and assigned to serve as an on-ice official in numerous International Women's Hockey games, including the 1998 Winter Olympics, two World Championships and several National Championships.
Melvin Andrews, of Grand Falls-Windsor, NF, Alex Légaré, of Québec, QC and Frank Lento, of Fernie, BC, were named as the CHA Order of Merit recipients. The Order of Merit was instituted in 1960 to "honor those individuals who for many years have served amateur hockey faithfully, having participated as players, served as coaches and association members, and made outstanding contributions to Canadian amateur hockey."
Two new awards were introduced Monday evening. The Hal Lewis Award went to Shelley Coolidge, Manager, Female Hockey Development. The Hal Lewis Award was instituted in honour of Lewis, worked with the CHA for 22 years, most in charge of Rules and Regulations. Lewis passed away in January, 1999. The Hal Lewis Award honours a CHA staff member for outstanding work during the 2000-2001 year.
The Liz MacKinnon Award was also introduced. This award is in honour of former CHA President Bob MacKinnon's wife, Liz MacKinnon, and recognizes a CHA delegate's companion for his or her support. The first Liz MacKinnon Award went to Jan Papineau.
The Canadian Hockey Association's Annual General Meeting came to a close on Tuesday, May 22, in Ottawa,
ON, as hockey leaders from across Canada convened to discuss the development and future of hockey in
Among the issues discussed relating to minor hockey were:
- The CHA Board of Directors approved a motion that will change the age categories throughout all levels of minor hockey in Canada, taking effect at the start of the 2002-2003 hockey season
- A donation of over $ 30 000 by the 2000 Royal Bank Cup Society in Fort McMurray, AB to create the Nickerson Family Scholarship. This scholarship has been named in honour of the Nickerson family and in recognition of the significant volunteer contribution made by Dr. Ken Nickerson and supported by Mary Nickerson, his very close wife and companion for 36 years who passed away in April, 2000
- The presentation of a three-year Pilot Project on bodychecking which indicates that introducing bodychecking at the Atom level doesn't significantly increase the risk of injuries to players
- A recommendation by the Hockey Development and Female Councils to introduce the 5-ounce puck into Women's Hockey, at the discretion of each Branch
- An update on the CHA's responses to recommendations from the Molson Open Ice Summit, including the completion of phase 1 of a Canadian Hockey Skills Academy Program, and approval to continue with phase 2 of this project
|For more information:|
Francis Dupont Manager, Media Relations/Communications Hockey Canada 403-777-4564 email@example.com
Morgan Bell Coordinator, Media Relations Hockey Canada 403-284-6427 firstname.lastname@example.org
|Esther Madziya Coordinator, Media Relations Hockey Canada 403-284-6484 email@example.com|