QUEBEC CITY, QC – Hockey Canada’s 2008 Annual General Meeting, which was attended by over 250 delegates from across Canada, concluded on Saturday afternoon.
Hockey Canada’s AGM brings together representation from each of the 13 Hockey Canada member Branches who make up the Hockey Canada Board of Directors, in adding to Hockey Canada’s Officers, Life members, representation from each of Hockey Canada’s councils: female, junior, minor, senior and hockey development, and representation from partner organizations.
A summary of items approved by Hockey Canada’s Board of Directors during this year’s AGM include:
HOCKEY CANADA TO ADDRESS BULLYING AND RELATING TACTICS IN HOCKEY
Hockey Canada’s membership approved a motion that will Hockey Canada develop a critical path to address bullying and relating tactics in hockey, with reference to education, roster sizes for junior and senior hockey, suspensions, verbal abuse and discipline related to fighting.
HOCKEY CANADA ADOPTS ACADEMY/SPORTS SCHOOLS INFORMATION MANUAL
Hockey Canada’s membership adopted in principle an information manual for academies/sports schools to be used as a template and guideline by branches for the 2008-09 season. A final policy document will be presented at the Hockey Canada board Fall Planning Meeting to allow for full implementation for the 2009-10 season. The information manual will allow branches to be able to deal with existing applications for the upcoming 2008-09 season, as well as for the 2009-10 season.
- Facilities will continue to be a major priority for Hockey Canada and its membership;
- To protect Hockey Canada’s membership, the Annual General Meeting carried a motion to assess significant sanctions against all participants and communities that participate in outlaw leagues;
- Dauphin, MB to host 2010 RBC Cup;
- IIHF president René Fasel and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman adressed the Annual General Meeting plenary;
- Vernon Doyle (Charlottetown, PEI) was elected Hockey Canada Referee-in-Chief;
Detailed information for Hockey Canada’s AGM, including council and plenary agendas and supporting information, can be found at HYPERLINK "" www.hockeycanada.ca.