CALGARY, AB – Hockey Canada, along with Team Canada general manager Steve Yzerman, announced today the addition of seven players to Canada’s roster for the 2007 IIHF World Men’s Hockey Championship, April 27- in Moscow, Russia.
The seven players added are:
- Goaltender – Cam Ward – Sherwood Park, AB – Carolina Hurricanes
- Defenceman – Mike Commodore – Fort Saskatchewan, AB – Carolina Hurricanes
- Defenceman – Barret Jackman – Fruitvale, BC – St. Louis Blues
- Forward – Jason Chimera – Columbus Blue Jackets
- Forward – Jamal Mayers – Toronto, ON – St. Louis Blues
- Forward – Eric Staal – Thunder Bay, ON – Carolina Hurricanes
- Forward – Justin Williams – Cobourg, ON – Carolina Hurricanes
With the announcement, Canada’s roster now includes a total of twelve players, including seven forwards, three defencemen and two goaltenders.
Goaltender Dwayne Roloson (Simcoe, ON/ Edmonton Oilers), defenceman Eric Brewer (Kamloops, BC/ St. Louis Blues) and forwards Mike Cammalleri (Richmond Hill, ON/ Los Angeles Kings), Shane Doan (Halkirk, AB/ Phoenix Coyotes) and Rick Nash (Brampton, ON/ Columbus Blue Jackets) were the first five players announced for the roster ten days ago.
“I continue to very pleased with the players that have committed to representing Canada at this year’s World Championship,” said Yzerman. “Five of the seven players named today have international experience, while the two players without any international experience, Ward and Commodore, were key players in Carolina’s Stanley Cup run last year.”
Yzerman and the rest of Canada’s staff, including head coach Andy Murray will continue to monitor NHL playoff games in the coming weeks before naming the remainder of Canada’s roster at the conclusion of the first round.
Canada opens the 2007 IIHF World Men’s Hockey Championship on April 28 against Germany. All of Canada’s games at the event will be broadcast live by TSN/RDS, the official broadcaster of Hockey Canada.
|For more information:|