CALGARY, AB– Hockey Canada announced on Friday the 2007 RBC Financial Group Junior A Scholarship winners. These annual scholarship awards provide financial assistance to players of the Canadian Junior A Hockey League (CJAHL) for post-secondary education.
The 2007 RBC Financial Group Junior A Scholarship recipients, one from each of the CJAHL’s ten leagues, receive $1,000 toward post-secondary education, with one national winner receiving $5,000. The winner of the national RBC Financial Group Junior A Scholarship was selected from a list of finalists by a national panel of Hockey Canada-appointed junior hockey representatives.
2007 RBC Financial Group Junior A Scholarship winners:
• Alberta Junior Hockey League – Kevin Luft – Sherwood Park Crusaders
• British Columbia Hockey League – Riley Whitlock – Cowichan Valley Capitals
• Central Junior Hockey League – Adam Marriner – Nepean Raiders
• Manitoba Junior Hockey League – Sean Kliewer – Portage Terriers
• Maritime Junior A Hockey League – Andrew Harmes – Truro (NS) Bearcats
• Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League – Brad Hummel – North Bay Skyhawks
• Ontario Provincial Junior A Hockey League – Ian Macdonald – Kingston Kimco Voyageurs
• Quebec Junior AAA Hockey League – Nicolas Lafontaine – Action de Joliette
• Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League – Evan Vossen – La Ronge Ice Wolves
• Superior International Junior Hockey League – Jacob Cahoon – Thunder Bay Bulldogs
The recipient of the $5,000 national RBC Financial Group Junior A Scholarship is Ian Macdonald – Kingston Kimco Voyageurs. Macdonald will be presented with his national scholarship award at the RBC Royal Bank Cup, which takes place May 5-13 in Prince George, BC.
Players eligible for the RBC Financial Group Junior A Scholarships must be a Canadian citizen, on a Canadian Junior A team roster, and registered or applying for full-time post-secondary studies. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic achievement, hockey achievement, and community involvement.
All Junior A hockey players in Canada who currently attend a Canadian post-secondary institution are also eligible for the Nickerson Family Awards, which are made possible through the Friends of the RBC Royal Bank Cup Society in Fort McMurray, AB. Adam Marriner of the Nepean Raiders is the $1,000 winner, and Kevin Luft of the Sherwood Park Crusaders is the $500 winner.
Application forms for 2008 can be obtained from Junior A leagues in the fall of 2007 and a downloadable form will also be available on the Hockey Canada website.
|For more information:|
Lisa Dornan Director, Communications Hockey Canada 403-777-4557 / 403-510-7046 (mobile) email@example.com
Francis Dupont Manager, Media Relations/Communications Hockey Canada 403-777-4564 firstname.lastname@example.org
|Morgan Bell Coordinator, Media Relations Hockey Canada 403-284-6427 email@example.com||Esther Madziya Coordinator, Media Relations Hockey Canada 403-284-6484 firstname.lastname@example.org|