Day in Review

Friday, December 31, 2004


Team Quebec goaltender Jonathan Bernier and Team Atlantic goaltender Roger Kennedy both stopped 9 shots each, to keep the game scoreless after the first period. Francois Bouchard and Peter-James Corsi both added a goal, to put Quebec up 2-0 in the second. That was until Atlantic’s forward Brad Marchand added a goal for his team late in the period to put the east coast kids within 1.  Robert Slaney of Atlantic then tied the game when he connected 3:57 into the third period.  To the delight of the many parents and fans of Team Atlantic in attendance, Blake Gallagher fired a shot past Jonathan Bernier to take a 3-2 lead in the game. Quebec coach Martin Daoust called a time-out half way through the third, but it was to no avail as Atlantic padded their lead when Ryan Hillier lit the lamp to put the score at 4-2. Brad Marchand added an empty net goal to give Atlantic the win with a final score of 5-2. Forwards Marchand and Robert Slaney recorded two points in the afternoon game for Atlantic. Peter-James Corsi recorded 2 points and was named player of the game for Quebec. Andrew Bodnarchuk was the Atlantic player of the game.


It was an all Canadian audience at the Nicholas Sheran Arena, as both Team West and Team Ontario tried to go 2-0 in the tournament. This game was anticipated to be very physical and exciting and it did not disappoint.  The game produced a handful of huge hits, which was a real highlight to a fast paced game. Most of the first period  was dominated by Team West only to be overshadowed by an early goal by Myles Applebaum from Team Ontario. In the second period the fans for Team West erupted when Blair Macauley tied the game at one. Only, to be later silenced, when Ryan Applebaum scored his second goal of the game for Team Ontario. The goal scoring continued in the third as Jonathan Towes scored twice giving the lead to Team West. Team Ontario tied the game at three when Ryan McDonough found the back of the net on a deflection. The most important goal came with under five minutes left in the third, when player of the game for Team West, Brennan Zastko scored the game winner. Steven Ferry was the player of the game for Team Ontario.


Both Team Germany and Team Slovakia looked to end 2004 on a positive note as they each played their third game of the tournament at Nicholas Sheran Arena. Team Slovakia owned Team Germany in the first period out shooting them 11-3 and scoring two goals, one by Julius Sinkovic and the other by Marek Biro. Team Slovakia continued to dominate Team Germany, scoring one in the second by Tomas Brcko and closing the game with one more in the third by Ratislav Konecny. Team Slovakia goalie, Marek Simko stopped 22 shots to record the first shutout of the tournament. Players of the game were Kyle Bortis for Team Germany and Lukas Zeliska for Team Slovakia. Team Germany will need a stronger effort tomorrow if they are to have a chance against Team West. Team Slovakia will get a well deserved rest as they have the day off.


Team Pacific set the tone early when Mitch Fadden scored only 39 seconds into the game. The Czech Republic quickly revoked the lead when David Stieler capitalized on a power play opportunity to tie it up 1-1. Zbynek Hampl put the Czechs up 2-1 late in the first period silencing the pro-Pacific crowd at the Enmax Centre. Pacific drew even when forward Brady Calla scored on the power play to tie the game 2-2. There was no scoring in the third period despite a critical penalty taken by the Czech Republic with little time left in the game. The 2-2 draw gave the Czech’s their first point in the tournament, and improved their record to 0-2-1. Pacific’s record now stands at 1-0-2.

For more information:
Jeff Beck Manager, Marketing Services and Events | Responsable, événements spéciaux et internationaux